October 28, 2013,
Auburn Hills, Mich.
The Insurance Institute of Highway Safety today named the all-new 2014 Fiat 500L a 2013 Top Safety Pick.
The innovative, four-door B-segment hatchback was one of two Chrysler Group vehicles to earn the designation during the latest round of IIHS evaluations. In the last 10 months, a total of 14 Chrysler Group vehicles have been so commended.
Top Safety Pick testing simulates a side impact, front moderate-overlap impact, roof-crush consistent with a rollover, and a rear collision capable of inducing whiplash.
In each of these tests, the all-new Fiat 500L recorded the highest-possible rating of “good.”
"The all-new 2014 Fiat 500L blends Italian style, a loft-like interior, great value and advanced safety features such as reactive head restraints and seven standard air bags, making it a unique proposition in the marketplace," said Jason Stoicevich, Head of Fiat Brand for North America, Chrysler Group LLC.
The other Chrysler Group vehicle today named a 2013 Top Safety Pick is the all-new 2014 Jeep® Cherokee mid-size SUV, which is equipped with 10 standard air bags and features a 65-percent content ratio of advanced-technology steel.
The 500L and Cherokee join 12 Chrysler Group vehicles that have claimed Top Safety Pick status within the last 10 months. They include, according to IIHS segmentation:
- The 2013 Fiat 500 minicar
- 2013 Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger large family cars
- 2013 Chrysler Town & Country and Dodge Grand Caravan minivans
- 2013 Dodge Journey, 2014 Durango and 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee mid-size SUVs
- 2014 Jeep Patriot small SUV
Three additional 2013 vehicles – the Dodge Dart in the IIHS small-car category and the Dodge Avenger and Chrysler 200 sedans among mid-size, moderately priced cars – share not only Top Safety Pick ratings, but the new IIHS Top Safety Pick+ award for superior performance in a small overlap front-crash test.
Among the more than 40 available safety and security features on the all-new 2014 Fiat 500L are technologies designed to mitigate the impact of collisions, such as:
About the All-new Fiat 500L
- Advanced multistage air bags, which inflate with a force appropriate to the severity of the impact; unique to the Fiat 500L is a design that includes tethers to shape the air bag (standard)
- Full-length side-curtain air bags, which extend protection to all outboard front- and rear-seat passengers; each side air bag has its own impact sensor that triggers deployment on the side where an impact occurs (standard)
- Driver’s-side knee air bag, which deploys with the driver’s advanced multistage air bag; located below the instrument panel, it is designed to properly position the occupant during impact and offer additional lower leg protection (standard)
- Seat-mounted side pelvic-thorax air bags, which provide enhanced protection to the driver and front outboard passenger in certain impacts; each side air bag has its own impact sensor that triggers deployment on the side where an impact occurs (standard)
- Reactive head restraints, which deploy in the event of a rear collision by minimizing the gap between the heads of the driver and front passenger and their respective head restraints (standard)
- Three second-row head restraints (standard)
- Seat belt pretensioners, which remove slack from the seat belt system to reduce forward movement of the occupant’s body, thereby maximizing the system’s efficiency; activated by impact sensors (standard)
- Digressive load limited retractors, which regulate force exerted on the occupant by the seat belt and then gradually releases seat belt webbing in a controlled manner; system features a digressive load limiter for the driver and the front passenger (standard)
- Three-point seat belts for front occupants; all rear seating positions have lap and shoulder belts (standard)
- Energy management system of three front load paths designed from high-strength steel manage vehicle crush and minimize cabin intrusion
- Crumple zones designed to deform during an accident to absorb energy from an impact, which decreases transfer of that energy to occupants
- Safety cage body structure, which protects occupants by managing and controlling energy in the event of an impact (standard)
- Side guard door beams, which provide occupant protection during a side impact
- Daytime running lamps for additional forward illumination; improves vehicle awareness
Expanding on the style, efficiency and driving enjoyment that has made the Fiat 500 an icon for more than 55 years, the all-new 2014 Fiat 500L expands the Cinquecento’s appeal by offering 42 percent extra interior space with comfortable seating for five, engaging driving dynamics, a 160-horsepower 1.4-liter MultiAir® Turbo engine and two fuel-saving, six-speed transmission offerings, all wrapped in contemporary Italian design.
About FIAT Brand
FIAT — Life is Best When Driven. The FIAT brand stands for discovery through passionate self-expression. It encourages people to be in charge of their lives, live confidently and celebrate the smallest of things with infectious excitement. That philosophy is embodied by the North American introduction of the iconic Fiat 500 or Cinquecento — a small car that lives big. Italian at heart and rooted in a rich heritage, the Fiat 500 is synonymous with modern, simple design blending form, function and a pride of ownership that is genuine.
Reminiscent of the original Cinquecento, the Fiat 500 and Fiat 500c (Cabrio) build on the vehicle’s global popularity. Since its initial launch in 2007, more than 1,000,000 Fiat 500 vehicles have been sold in more than 100 countries around the world. In addition to success on the sales front, the Fiat 500 has earned more than 80 international awards, including being named the 2008 European Car of the Year, 2009 World Car Design of the Year and Best New Engine of 2010 (Fiat MultiAir® Turbo). In the U.S., the 2012 Fiat 500 was named “Best Buy” in the subcompact category by Consumers Digest and was deemed a “Top Safety Pick” by the influential Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS). This year, the 2013 Fiat 500 was named to the “10 Coolest New Cars Under $18,000” list by Kelley Blue Book’s KBB.com.
The FIAT brand portfolio in North America continues to expand. In 2013, the FIAT brand launched the high-performance Fiat 500 Abarth Cabrio, the fully-electric Fiat 500e and the Fiat 500L, an all-new five-passenger model that expands FIAT’s brand style and efficiency into the growing B-segment.
About Chrysler Group LLC
Chrysler Group LLC, formed in 2009 from a global strategic alliance with Fiat S.p.A., produces Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge, Ram, SRT, Fiat and Mopar vehicles and products. With the resources, technology and worldwide distribution network required to compete on a global scale, the alliance builds on Chrysler Group’s culture of innovation, first established by Walter P. Chrysler in 1925, and Fiat’s complementary technology that dates back to its founding in 1899.
Headquartered in Auburn Hills, Mich., Chrysler Group’s product lineup features some of the world's most recognizable vehicles, including the Chrysler 300, Jeep Wrangler, Dodge Challenger and Ram 1500. Fiat contributes world-class technology, platforms and powertrains for small- and medium-size cars, allowing Chrysler Group to offer an expanded product line including environmentally friendly vehicles.
Follow Chrysler news and video on:
Chrysler Connect blog: http://blog.chryslergroupllc.com
Corporate website: http://www.chryslergroupllc.com