June 26, 2014,
Auburn Hills, Mich.
The 2015 Ram ProMaster City is Ram’s newest addition to its commercial vehicle lineup, and contributes to the expanding, purpose-built, van segment with a number of best-in-class, functional elements tied directly to commercial customer demand. The new Class 1 entry opens a door for incremental growth of Ram’s brand sales volumes.
Joining the larger and highly capable Ram ProMaster and popular Ram C/V as a Class 1 van offering, the 2015 Ram ProMaster City will compete with small commercial and passenger vans with best-in-class attributes in the areas that count: payload capacity, cargo area, performance and fuel economy.
"The Ram Commercial lineup includes vans, pickups, and chassis cab trucks. The ProMaster City will help draw commercial customers looking for a one-stop shop for a variety of needs," said Bob Hegbloom, President and CEO — Ram Truck Brand, Chrysler Group LLC. "Ram Commercial is confident in its abilities to continue to grow sales in the commercial truck and van markets by offering class-leading products and unique programs, such as Business Link dealer support and On The Job incentives that will benefit commercial customers."
Based on the successful Fiat Doblò, a two-time International Van of the Year winner with more than 1.3 million units sold, the Ram ProMaster City will incorporate familiar Ram Truck design elements and offer features, systems and powertrains preferred by North American customers.
ProMaster City features include:
- Best-in-class payload
- Best-in-class cargo capacity
- Best-in-class horsepower
- Best-in-class torque
- Unsurpassed towing
- Best-in-class cargo width between wheel wells
- Unsurpassed powertrain warranty
- Best-in-class Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 5,395 pounds
- Class exclusive bi-link rear suspension
- Class exclusive nine-speed transmission
- Unsurpassed highway fuel economy of 29 miles per gallon (mpg) highway
The 2015 Ram ProMaster City offers eight different configurations:
- Tradesman Cargo with security panels
- Tradesman Cargo with rear windows
- Tradesman Cargo with rear and side windows
- Tradesman SLT Cargo with security panels
- Tradesman SLT Cargo with rear windows
- Tradesman SLT Cargo with rear and side windows
- Wagon with rear and side windows
- Wagon SLT with rear and side windows
- Tradesman Cargo Van — U.S. Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $23,130 base (plus $995 destination)
- Tradesman SLT Cargo Van — MSRP of $24,655 base (plus $995 destination)
- Wagon — MSRP of $24,130 base (plus $995 destination)
- Wagon SLT — MSRP of $25,655 base (plus $995 destination)
Ram – Dodge at the time – began offering vans in the early 1960s. And even before that, dating back to 1918, a series of panel delivery trucks were precursors to the modern vans. The segment has since evolved from a standard size van with basic capability and tolerable efficiency to a variety of purpose-built cargo haulers with engineering and execution that combines desirable sizes, low total cost of ownership and upfit solutions.
There are roughly 175,000 Class 1 cargo vans in U.S. service today, mostly in fleets. Overall Class 1-4 van volumes are expected to be nearly 400,000 units per year over the next five years with small vans representing approximately 25 percent of the segment. Class 1 industry sales data show an increase in cargo van demand of 86 percent, which can be attributed to commercial customers right-sizing van purchases for their businesses.
Available at all 2,300 Ram Truck dealerships, the all-new 2015 Ram ProMaster City offers unsurpassed fuel efficiency, best-in-class payload and the highest cargo capacity in the segment. The new van also offers customers low total cost of ownership, serviceability and more proven experience than anything in the segment.
The Ram ProMaster City aligns with Ram Commercial, a division of the Ram Truck brand, to meet the unique requirements of commercial customers. Commercial business is essential as it represents about one quarter of the total U.S. sales volume.
Joined by the Ram C/V, the 2015 Ram ProMaster City targets countless businesses in a variety of industries, including delivery, service and repairs, construction, transportation/shipping, large-medium-small businesses and agriculture. The economy has incurred pent-up demand to replace aging commercial vans and vehicles that are no longer offered in the market. This has created an opportunity and Ram Commercial now offers a variety of capable and efficient models ready for work.
Top reasons for purchase in the Class 1 van segment:
- Total cost of ownership
- Cargo space and versatility
- Quality, reliability and dependability
ProMaster City competitors are: Ford Transit Connect, Nissan NV 200 and Chevy City Express.
Start of production for the 2015 Ram ProMaster City is scheduled for fourth quarter of 2014. The ProMaster City is built in Bursa, Turkey at Fiat’s joint-venture TOFAS plant. TOFAS is Turkey’s largest auto assembly plant and was awarded a World Class Manufacturing Gold Medal, a testament to Fiat’s center of excellence for small commercial vans. The optional ProMaster City cargo van configuration is upfitted at a Chrysler Group Transformation Center in Baltimore, Maryland.
Ram Commercial lineup
The Ram Truck brand continues to establish its own identity and clearly define its customer. The brand has emerged as a leader by investing in new products, infusing them with durable powertrains, robust chassis, new technology and features that further enhance their capabilities while delivering low total cost of ownership. Commercial truck and van customers have a demanding range of needs and require their vehicles to perform at any time. The Ram 1500, 2500 and 3500 pickups; 3500, 4500 and 5500 Chassis Cabs; Ram C/V; Ram ProMaster City and Ram ProMaster vans are designed to deliver a total package.
When it comes to capability, the Ram C/V Tradesman out-works competitive vans on a number of fronts by delivering best-in-class payload, cargo space and towing. Equipped with the award-winning Pentastar V-6 engine, mated to a six-speed automatic transmission, the Ram C/V Tradesman also delivers best-in-class horsepower, torque and driving range of up to 520 miles on a single tank of fuel.
Ram Commercial is tapping into Fiat Professional, one of the largest producers of commercial vehicles in the entire world, offering more than 110 years of experience. That knowledge has helped Ram enter new segments and expand the product line. Based on the Fiat Ducato, the Ram ProMaster full-size van is optimized for the North American market and offered by Ram Commercial with best-in-class attributes. Now in its third generation with more than four million sold worldwide, this van is a proven, award-winning workhorse with titles in efficiency.
First ever back-to-back Motor Trend
Truck of the Year winner (2013 and 2014), the Ram 1500 delivers best-in-class gasoline fuel economy of 18 miles per gallon (mpg) city and 25 mpg highway with a truckload of pioneering, fuel-saving systems, including a fuel efficient and powerful 3.6-liter V-6 engine and first-in-segment technologies: TorqueFlite eight-speed automatic transmission, stop-start system, thermal management system, pulse-width modulation and active aerodynamics, including grille shutters and air suspension. For 2015, the Ram 1500 offers an exclusive, 3.0-liter EcoDiesel engine that delivers an outstanding combination of best-in-class fuel efficiency – 28 mpg – 420 lb.-ft. of torque and up to 9,200 pounds of towing capability.
Ram 2500 and 3500 Heavy Duty
Ram Truck brand offers the most capable heavy-duty pickups in the segment – the 2015 Ram Heavy Duty line includes a list of features for the customer whose No. 1 priority is capability:
- Towing – Best-in-class 30,000 pounds with Ram 3500
- Payload – 7,320 pounds with Ram 3500
- Power – 850 lb.-ft. of torque with 6.7-liter Cummins
- Power – Best-in-class 410 horsepower and 429 lb.-ft. of torque with 6.4-liter HEMI® V-8
- Capacity – Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) of 37,600 pounds with Ram 3500 BIC
Ram 2500 and 3500 Heavy Duty trucks also add new innovation, including an all-new five-link coil suspension with optional air suspension on Ram 2500, and a supplemental air bag suspension option on Ram 3500.
Ram Chassis Cab
Ram Truck brand owns titles in capability for its hardest-working trucks – the Ram 3500, 4500 and 5500 Chassis Cab trucks. Led by the Tradesman trim level, Ram Chassis Cab trucks provide customers with first-time innovations, and features along with new standards of strength, utility and drivability. Building on Ram Chassis Cabs already proven equation of durability, upfitter friendliness, efficiency and best-in-class capabilities, Ram’s commercial-grade work trucks are engineered for maximum uptime, low cost of ownership, optimum performance and enhanced best-in-class commercial capability. Owners can proudly display their company logo and rest with the confidence of knowing that it will get the job done day-in and day-out. Ram Chassis Cab best-in-class features include:
Ram Truck Total Cost of Ownership (TCO)
- Best-in-class 37,500 GCWR
- Best-in-class 29,600 pounds of towing capacity
- Class-exclusive vehicle system interface module (VSIM) and upfitter-friendly design
- Class-exclusive electronic stability control
- Lowest total cost of ownership
- Class-exclusive smart exhaust brake
- Best-in-class dual fuel tank capacity
- Best-in-class 15,000-mile oil change intervals on Cummins diesel
- Best-in-class powertrain warranty – five years/100,000 miles
Commercial customers in particular face balancing the challenges of opportunity costs, fuel pricing, reduced budgets, new technology and durability. Total cost of ownership (TCO) calculations are helpful in making purchase and operational decisions. Ram Truck offers best-in-class TCO for commercial truck owners. The Ram 1500 offers best-in-class fuel economy of 28 mpg. A standard V-8 engine features best-in-class entry-level capability and impressive resale value, allowing owners to recover more upfront costs. All Cummins diesel-powered Ram trucks feature a 15,000-mile oil change interval, and a best-in-class diesel exhaust brake increases frictional brake life by three times the market average. Ram truck also offers the most upfitter-friendly solutions in the industry, reducing the initial costs for specialty trucks such as crane, rollback or dump bed upfits. Topping it off, Ram offers an unsurpassed five-year/100,000-mile powertrain warranty, proof of the quality built into each truck.
Ram Commercial Marketing
In many cases, the owner is not the operator, which creates a unique sales and marketing dynamic. Ram Commercial offers a complete approach with a company-wide strategy supported by all organizations and a dedicated sales force. Marketing efforts speak directly to commercial buyers both visually and verbally, and improved customer targeting benefits from laser-focused channels, such as tradeshows, commercial websites and trade publications. The new division is supported throughout the entire network, including local advocates, operation managers, sales specialists and an extensive dealer network.
Approximate Commercial Business Breakdown:
Ram Truck Brand
- Service and repairs – 24 percent
- Construction – 19 percent
- Transportation and shipping – 17 percent
- Large-to-medium businesses – 8 percent
- Small businesses – 8 percent
- Schools organizations and non-profits – 7 percent
- Machinery and Electronic products – 6 percent
- Forestry, mining, oil and gas – 3 percent
- Farming and agriculture – 2 percent
- Wood, metal and stone products – 2 percent
- Food and beverage – 1 percent
- Other – 3 percent
In 2009, the Ram Truck brand launched as a stand-alone division, focused on meeting the demands of truck buyers and delivering benchmark-quality vehicles. With a full lineup of trucks, the Ram 1500, 2500/3500 Heavy Duty, 3500/4500/5500 Chassis Cab, ProMaster and ProMaster City, the Ram brand builds trucks that get the hard work done and families where they need to go.
Ram is the number one brand in new vehicle quality and is the only truck-exclusive brand to ever finish first in J.D. Power’s Initial Quality Study (2021), which tracks new vehicle performance over the first three months of ownership. In the same study, Ram Heavy Duty models also scored best, making Ram the number-one truck brand in new vehicle quality among large heavy-duty pickups.
In addition, the latest J.D. Power APEAL study - which rates the emotional bond between customers and their vehicles – named the 2021 Ram 1500 as the best vehicle in the large light-duty pickup category. This marks the second straight year Ram 1500 has received top honors.
The 2022 Ram 1500 lineup includes the Know & Go mobile app featuring an immersive experience for customers who want to learn more about their vehicles.
Ram continues to outperform the competition and sets the benchmarks for:
- 1,075 lb.-ft. of torque with Cummins Turbo Diesel
- Towing capacity of 37,090 lbs. with Ram 3500
- Segment first 1,000 lb.-ft of torque with Cummins Turbo Diesel
- Payload of 7,680 lbs. with Ram 3500
- Most luxurious: Ram Limited with real wood, real leather and 12-inch Uconnect touchscreen
- Best ride and handling with exclusive link coil rear and auto-level air suspensions
- Most interior space with Ram Mega Cab
- Most capable full-size off-road pickup – Ram Power Wagon
- Ram 1500, America’s most powerful half-ton diesel pickup with 480 lb.-ft. of torque, achieves an unsurpassed 33 mpg highway and delivers up to 1,000 miles of range on a single tank of fuel
- Ram 1500 TRX is the quickest, fastest and most powerful mass-produced pickup truck in the world
- Most awarded light-duty truck in America
- Highest owner loyalty of any half-ton pickup
Ram is part of the portfolio of brands offered by leading global automaker and mobility provider Stellantis. For more information regarding Stellantis (NYSE: STLA), please visit www.stellantis.com
Follow Ram and company news and video on:
Company blog: http://blog.stellantisnorthamerica.com
Media website: http://media.stellantisnorthamerica.com
Ram Truck brand: www.ramtrucks.com