July 19, 2018,
Auburn Hills, Mich.
Dodge//SRT engineers are regulars at the drag strip and well known for creating the record-setting Challenger SRT Demon. Now, once again, they are using their proven experience to create a new street-to-strip drag car. The result: the drag-oriented, street-legal 2019 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack 1320, unveiled today in Denver prior to the Dodge Mile-High NHRA Nationals Powered by Mopar, taking place July 20-22 at Bandimere Speedway.
Named for the quarter-mile distance (1,320 feet), the Challenger R/T Scat Pack 1320 is powered by the 392 HEMI® V-8 that delivers 485 horsepower and 475 lb.-ft. of torque and is mated to the quick-shifting TorqueFlite eight-speed automatic transmission with class-exclusive TransBrake. It is equipped with specially developed Nexen SUR4G Drag Spec 275/40R20 street-legal drag radial tires that deliver maximum grip and offer repeatable quarter-mile times.
With a quarter-mile (1,320 feet) elapsed time (E.T.) of 11.7 seconds at 115 miles per hour (mph), the showroom-stock 2019 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack 1320 is the fastest naturally aspirated, street-legal muscle car available.
“All it takes is an evening spent at a local drag strip to learn that the grassroots drag-racing community is large and extremely loyal to their cars,” says Steve Beahm, Head of Passenger Car Brands – Dodge, SRT, Chrysler and FIAT, FCA – North America. “We created the Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack 1320 for the heart of the sport, the bracket racer who wants to drive to the track, suit up, go fast and go home with a big smile and maybe a trophy in the trunk with minimal prep and upkeep.”
Bracket racing is one of the most popular forms of drag racing. It challenges competitors to race the clock, as well as each other, rewarding launch skill, consistency and racing within the preselected time target without “busting the bracket” by going too fast.
To that base, Dodge//SRT engineers added drag specific components and technologies to deliver a street-to-strip value package while producing quick launches when the Christmas tree goes green. Features include:
- TorqueFlite 8HP70 eight-speed automatic transmission – required equipment for the R/T Scat Pack 1320, replacing the standard manual transmission on the Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
- TransBrake – locks the output shaft of the automatic transmission to hold the car stationary before a standing start
- Torque Reserve – works in conjunction with the TransBrake and Launch Control by managing fuel flow to cylinders and controlling spark advance or retard to balance engine rpm and torque to maximize power delivery and launch performance
- Nexen SUR4G Drag Spec 275/40R20 street-legal drag radials – all-new specially developed tires that deliver exceptional grip at the drag strip and on the street
- Preproduction testing shows that the Nexen tires demonstrate consistent run times with minimal burnout preparation at the drag strip
- SRT-tuned three-mode Adaptive Damping Suspension (ADS) electronically retuned for the Challenger R/T Scat Pack 1320
- Includes Drag Mode that, when engaged, optimizes weight transfer to the rear for best launch traction
- Standard interior configuration has driver’s seat only to help reduce weight by approximately 114 pounds; front passenger seat and rear seat are available individually as $1 options
- Performance-tuned asymmetrical limited-slip differential with 3.09 final drive
- Extreme-duty 41-spline rear axle half shafts adopted from the Challenger SRT Demon
- Line Lock – engages the front brakes to hold the Challenger R/T Scat Pack 1320 stationary, but leaves the rear wheels free for a burnout to heat up and clean the rear tires
- Launch Assist – uses wheel speed sensors to watch for driveline-damaging wheel hop at launch and, in milliseconds, modifies the engine torque to regain full grip
- Launch Control – controls tire slip during straight-line acceleration
- Low Gloss Black 20 x 9.5-inch aluminum-forged wheels with knurled bead seats to minimize tire slip on the wheel
- Brembo High-performance Brake Package with four-piston calipers
The Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack 1320 comes with the 8.4-inch Uconnect touchscreen that enables the driver to engage Launch Control and Line Lock within the Performance Control app. It also lets the driver select modes, including Drag Mode and Adaptive Damping Suspension, while working with the steering-wheel-mounted shift paddles to activate the TransBrake.
As drag racers know, the results tell the story. In drag strip testing compared with a Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack, the 2019 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack 1320 shaves .3 seconds off the quarter-mile time to 11.7 seconds at 115 mph and cuts .3 seconds off the 0-60 mph acceleration time to 3.8 seconds.
Inside, the 2019 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack 1320 is equipped with a long list of comfort and convenience equipment, including dual-zone automatic temperature control, electric power steering, power driver’s seat, keyless Enter ‘n Go, ParkSense rear park assist and ParkView rear backup camera.
A new interpretation of the legendary Dodge Super Bee logo, the “Angry Bee,” marks the front fenders, instrument panel, illuminated Air Catcher headlamps, startup splash screen in the instrument gauge cluster and key fob.
The Dodge//SRT team painted the first Challenger R/T Scat Pack 1320 a custom concept exterior color called “Black Eye,” following a survey of enthusiast attendees at the annual FCA-sponsored “Spring Festival 13” event in southern California earlier this year. The high-impact color was the top vote-getter from among 15 new concept exterior paints shown at the event and a subsequent online survey of FCA employees. Dodge//SRT will gauge feedback of the concept exterior color for future consideration.
To help commemorate the unveiling of the new Challenger R/T Scat Pack 1320, there will be a special 1320-themed paint scheme on the Mopar Dodge Top Fuel dragster driven by Don Schumacher Racing star Leah Pritchett.
The 2019 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack 1320 Package adds $3,995 to the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $39,245 for the Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack. The mandatory automatic transmission adds $1,595 and the destination charge adds $1,495. The 2019 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack 1320 will be available for dealer orders in late 2018; vehicles are scheduled to start arriving in dealership in the first quarter of 2019.
Fourteen different distinct Dodge//SRT colors available across Challenger lineup
Dodge Challenger customers have a wide array of exterior colors and stripes from which they can choose to customize their muscle car. Fourteen different exterior colors are available:
- B5 Blue
- Destroyer Grey
- F8 Green
- Go Mango
- Granite Crystal
- Indigo Blue
- Maximum Steel
- Octane Red
- Pitch Black
- Plum Crazy
- Triple Nickel (NEW)
- White Knuckle
- Yellow Jacket
For more than 100 years, the Dodge brand has carried on the spirit of brothers John and Horace Dodge. Their influence continues today as Dodge shifts into high gear with muscle cars and SUVs that deliver unrivaled performance in each of the segments where they compete.
2021 marks the year that Dodge is distilled into a pure performance brand, offering Hellcat-powered, 700-plus-horsepower SRT versions of every model across the lineup. For the 2021 model year, Dodge delivers the drag-strip dominating 807-horsepower Dodge Challenger SRT Super Stock, the new 797-horsepower Dodge Charger SRT Redeye, the most powerful and fastest mass-produced sedan in the world, and the new 710-horsepower Dodge Durango SRT Hellcat, the most powerful SUV ever. Combined, these three muscle cars make Dodge the industry’s most powerful brand, offering more horsepower than any other American brand across its entire lineup.
In 2020, Dodge was named the "#1 Brand in Initial Quality," making it the first domestic brand ever to rank No. 1 in the J.D. Power Initial Quality Study
(IQS). The Dodge brand also ranked No. 1 in the J.D. Power APEAL Study
(mass market). These results are historic because it marks the first time a domestic brand has earned top spots in both J.D. Power studies in the same year.
Dodge is part of the portfolio of brands offered by leading global automaker and mobility provider Stellantis. For more information regarding Stellantis (NYSE: STLA), please visit www.stellantis.com
Follow Dodge and company news and video on:
Company blog: http://blog.stellantisnorthamerica.com
Media website: http://media.stellantisnorthamerica.com
Dodge brand: www.dodge.com